Here are links to the posts that preceded this one, Part 1 (with pattern envelope photo) and Part 2 for this project.
As for the 40's suit, here is the finished version. Modeled by the adorable Nancy, who came to my Etsy shop after reading a post on my blog. I am so happy to see how this looks on her, plus her choice of setting and pose are just lovely.
Here is a better look at the jacket. This pattern has several options, so I made the collar which is not attached. It has 2 buttons in front, like the top of a blouse, and lays just right under the upper edge of the jacket. So a different blouse could be worn, or maybe a sweater or T underneath, or wear the jacket as a top.
It is so much fun for me to see her in the outfit. When we first e-mailed, I said I would love to write about it on my blog - but her great photos exceeded my expectations.
I did take some photos on the dress form, and made one change in the pattern design. The pattern had a shoulder dart pointing to the bust, and then a waist dart, but between the darts the top had an odd shape, so I decided to connect the two darts and create a shoulder princess seam to smooth out the shape over the bust.
Here are a couple of the finishing details. I did a lapped zipper in the skirt, and used my trusty Singer attachment for the buttonholes. I have never made a stitched buttonhole with any other method, but I can't imagine a better one, maybe I will do a post on this gizmo next time I use it.
So vintage - I am officially hooked on these patterns. Although for the record I would never give up the modern multi-size pattern, a great timesaver and perfect for a someone like me who is definitely not same size all over (at least according to the dictates of the big 4 pattern companies).
Thanks again to Nancy for initiating this project and sending her great pictures.
Happy sewing, be it vintage or modern, Beth