Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring sewing, fabric finds and Vogue 1143

Based on my recent blogging output one might think I have not been getting anything done, or at least sewn to a blog-worthy state but that is not the case.  I have a number of projects that are in various stages of completion, plus lots of photos needing to be edited. 
My new favorite Vogue pattern is coming along very well. I just realized I have a new favorite Vogue pattern every 3 months or so.  Fickle!  
V1143 pattern envelope


This jacket is unusual for me but I am really liking the style.  Recall that I asked blog readers to choose a Vogue Designer pattern for me to sew and blog about.  The finalist was selected by Ruta, it is Vogue 1143 Guy Laroche Paris Original.  OK, I promise not to go around telling people "this outfit is a Paris Original"  but I do get a tiny thrill with thinking about these patterns. 

Grey Vogue suit jacket startedWhen I was a teen sewer and bought a Vogue designer pattern (which back then came with a fabric label to sew in your garment) I felt so grown up and sophisticated.  Note to readers - I did start sewing when I was around 7-8 so by 17 I had been sewing 10 years and buying Vogue designer patterns, not always successfully but my family was encouraging.  


Here is a sneak peek at the jacket.  I didn't mean to make two grey jackets in a row, but I chose this fabric which is a poly-rayon-spandex blend.  The jacket has some cool elements, the two piece sleeves, and the double peplum, however, to complete this look I must make pants.  EEK - fit phobia!  something about making pants for me is just less than fun but it is my resolution for the year.  And if I want to model this outfit, the pants must be done.  


And now for some random topics that have been rattling around in my head. Is anyone else having trouble commenting on Wordpress blogs?  I used to be able to, with my blogger ID, but now it keeps bouncing out or something, anyone know what is going on and how to comment?
Tracing paper



Is tracing paper a scarce commodity?  Seems to be.  I used to buy rolls at a big chain art supply store, went in today, they don't carry it anymore. I use it for pattern tissue, doing clothing tracings and just all kinds of things.  Also the big chain fabric store, they stopped carrying it. I love web shopping but I just annoys me to be unable to buy simple things at local stores.  Pictured at right, 18" wide. 


StoneMountainbizcardWhich brings me to local shopping.  I have fabric shopping envy when I read about all the fabric stores in New York or LA, but we do have a few gems here in N. Calif. My local fabric store is Stone Mountain and Daughter in Berkeley. They are celebrating their 31st anniversary and have tons of great stuff so last Friday I zipped in there and came out with a few gems.  On the back of their business card it says "Sew Berkeley, Sew Creative, Sew Hip"  and I agree. 


navy white knitaqua-navy knit print
Here are just 2 of the 6 different fabrics I bought.  Mostly knits! Shocking but I am slowly coming round to the beauty and ease of sewing knits.

Vintage sheath and blue fabric






Finally, I saw on Pattern Review they are doing the Vintage contest and that is just the kick I need to make a dress that has been in my queue for a while.  Here is a tiny peek.  The seaming on the bodice looks so modern to me, or perhaps timeless?  The mystery fabric is a thrift store find, and it is block fused, with blue tricot knit interfacing. I almost shrieked when I came across it.  But that's all for now on this one. 




Here is today's SunnyGal garden photo, a dianthus which survived the winter and is flowering again. This may be the best flower for a sewing blog, as I just read on Wikipedia "The color pink may be named after the flower, coming from the frilled edge of the flowers: the verb "pink" dates from the 14th century and means "to decorate with a perforated or punched pattern" (maybe from German "picken" = to peck). This verb sense is also used in the name of pinking shears."  
Happy spring sewing.


pink dianthus

8 comments:

  1. Last time I was there, Discount Fabrics in Berkeley had the alphabet pattern paper in various sizes. I think they carry it in all their stores in SF and Berkeley.
    Love your pattern!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the far reaches of WI. there are no art or fabric stores....seriously:( I use wax paper to copy my patterns which is seriously cheap and if you need it to be wider you can overlap it by a few inches and iron it together. Use a wax based color pencil to mark on it, or eyebrow pencil works great as well. Once the alterations are complete and I think I will be using the pattern again I generally transfer to "true grid" or alpha numeric paper both of which I have to purchase by the bolt and have shipped. The "true grid" can often be found at half price (.50 per yard)

    Sew looking forward to seeing all your items completed....but no pressure:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooohhhhhh, CAN"T WAIT to see the finished Vogue! I have that pattern and fabric to go with but haven't made it up yet. Nobody has reviewed it over at PR, and I always wondered why nobody made it because I think it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pain about the tracing paper! But your jacket is looking very promising...
    I used to buy Vogue designer patterns as a teen too, but they never came with a label! I wonder if maybe they didn't send them to Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Six fabrics from StoneMountain -- and mostly knits?! You're set for the next few months! Thank you so much for nominating me for an award and for your kind sentiments. I didn't know you were allergic to cats -- I'll have to take a lint brush to my clothes and car the next time we get together, as I'm generally covered in cat fur on most days! Regarding tracing paper, I've bought multiple rolls from Canada College's bookstore. The rolls are used for their pattern drafting classes. They are probably pricier than buying online, but it's easy to just pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would give my eyeteeth to be near StoneMountain. Lovely fabrics and your jacket looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just completing this pattern. the pants turned out fine however the jacket did give me a slight
    headache. Of course I didn't make a muslin. The sleeves
    are still bothering me. I can't figure out
    how to prevent the under part from sloppily slipping down, I feel I will be tacking it more however it doesn't seem smooth enough. I also found the peplum stuck out at the sides in a swoop effect and I took it apart and tapered it and it still wasn't right so I tapered it again after it was sewn, kind of makeshift
    which I don't like to do....it now looks fine. Not loving it though. Happy sewing, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice idea.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete