Oh my gosh, someone stop me before I make another floral dress !
The Sewaholic Cambie Dress, made in a lightweight cotton sateen that has a touch of lycra. I made Version A, with the A-line skirt and angle pockets. I changed the sweetheart neckline to a straight across the front bodice. I am not really a sweetheart neckline type, in fact this dress is pretty far on the sweetness scale for me, but I think it worked out and I will get plenty of wear this summer. I have a lot of sundresses that are a bit more bare, so this dress is summery but not strappy, if that makes sense.
I made a few changes on the pattern (when don't I ?). It is slighly unusual to have a bodice + skirt style of dress that has a waistband, and I like to be able to sew up the side seams last, for fitting purposes, so I split the waistband into front and back waistband pieces, adding seam allowances. Also for the pockets, I like the pocket lining that touches the skirt portion to have a slippy quality, since cotton on cotton sometimes has a tendency to stick, so I cut the pocket piece in half and made the pocket facing side in a scrap of acetate lining. That way the floral fabric completes the skirt side but the lining fabric is lightweight.
Part of the reason for these 2 changes (pocket and waistband) were construction methods I use, but the other reason is fabric availability. Does this fabric look familiar? I made a dress a while ago for Lia, my hair stylist, that used this fabric, and then from the remaining scraps I made a skirt for myself. That used up all the fabric, but then I took a shopping excursion with my friend (fabric enabler) Alice to a shop in Oakland, Happy Stop Fabrics. It is a little hole in the wall store, filled with fabric remnants and lots of weird poly fabrics, lots of knits, and a few goodies among the oddball stuff. I found a piece of this fabric and bought it along with a ton of other cotton poplins for very little money. Yards and yards which I have used in my Etsy shop. So that was quite a good haul on the first visit, last week we went back and were uninspired. I think it is totally hit or miss, but so inexpensive that it is worth a try.
The piece I bought of this coral/black print was 48 inches wide, length of 1 yard 23 inches. The Cambie dress calls for 2.5 yards of 45" or 2 yards of 60". Don't ask me how I squeezed the pattern pieces on my fabric, I couldn't tell you. I did cut the dress out at the size 0 hemline since it seemed to be fairly long and I am not. Otherwise I cut out a size 8 bodice and a size 10 skirt, that seemed to work out well, although I did take out about 1" in the center back seam since it was gaping a bit at the back neckline when I basted the zipper in to check. I lined the bodice in white cotton but the skirt is unlined.
I love this fabric's color combination, coral is one of my favorites. I don't usually wear black, so this is as close as I get to a black dress.
OK - enough with the dresses for a while. If I write it here, then it is so. (maybe, until I get a bug in my head for some other style) Separates - must make some separates! Actually I have a shirt started and have been playing around with T-shirt neckline bindings.
Update: I have received lots of affirmative replies to our sewist/blogger meetup and group lunch at the Gaultier exhibit, A great group of bay area sewists are planning to meet (or meet again) and talk fashion, sewing, patterns, and more. I have had a couple of emails asking if there is space for another person, and the answer is an unequivocal YES. Unlimited room - please come. If you are concerned you will not know anyone - no worries, it is a great group and very welcoming. See you on June 23, 10 am at the De Young museum, SF Golden Gate Park.
Here is today's SunnyGal garden photo - an action shot (ha ha), more like a photo outtake. Check out those hydrangeas - starting to bloom all over the garden. And a look at the dress without my hands in the pockets. ooo - love a dress with pockets :)
Happy weekend sewing, Beth