Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pattern Love: Vogue 1351 DKNY dress

Is it too early in 2013 to declare this the best pattern of the year? If you have been reading this blog for a while you probably know that I am inclined to superlatives. My favorite color, greatest skirt pattern, most beautiful flower...rarely a shade of grey for me. Opinions, snap judgements, instant thumbs up or down are rapidly determined. So when I started prepping the pattern pieces for this one I had a little shiver of excitement and the dress that resulted confirmed my first impression. This one is a winner!

Vogue 1351 has just a few pattern pieces, is cut on the bias, and very little fitting involved. Here is the result.
V1351 Purple dress
One more time these DKNY patterns turn out to be genius. OK maybe a bit too high with the praise but I really can't say enough good things about this one. Firstly, super easy. So welcome in summertime when you want to get that dress done! Perfect shaping, at least for me. I have not made any knits cut on the bias before and that seems to be what gives this dress such a lovely drape. Also the cowl neckline is not too big or too low. I made V1250 for a friend, another genius pattern from DKNY and on me the shape was just not all that flattering however it suited my friend perfectly. This dress has more of a waist so better suited to my style. But I can tell you that it barely touches my waist and that is how it is designed to fit, just skimming over your shape.  It is the cut and drape of the bodice pieces that allow them to float over the body and look so sleek and yet be uber-comfortable. Another positive is it would be relatively easy to alter, with a bit of forethought if you are not quite the size you could take in or let out at the side seams when you cut it out. The finished measurements are on the pattern and seemed to be close.

Vogue 1351 Purple knit dress back
I did two slight fit adjustments, taking it up at the shoulders about 1/2 inch and a slight swayback adjustment taking about 1/2 inch out of the center back bodice (when I sewed it together after a test baste) to bring that back waist seam to the horizontal. So when I make it next (oh yes there will be a next) I will just alter my pattern pieces. Then it will be one of those 2-hour dresses. Pretty good for a Vogue designer pattern. 
Another thing I like is where the edge of the bodice hits the shoulder, as you know from my last Vogue dress I like the shoulders to be a bit on the narrow side, I think it is more flattering. 
This dress has a full lining, pattern pieces included and the bodice front lining is what makes the neckline so perfect.

           purple dress insideVogue 1351 dress on form
Here is the pattern envelope. It suggests crepe, matte jersey or charmeuse. For some reason this strikes me as the perfect travel item. Dress it up or go casual, roll in a ball and stuff in your suitcase.
V1351 pattern photo
Oh yeah, I am smiling. Pattern love. And a knit..in a solid color...what is going on? Not a wild floral. I do have a rayon knit print I bought as soon as I finished this so onward with another version. By the way, this fabric was a rayon knit I added to the shopping cart when buying some stuff from Fashion Fabrics Club. When it came my reaction was, blech, not what I thought it would be, kind of slinky. So it was set aside and in fact I did do some t-shirt testing with it. But it was a lucky choice for this dress, plus the color seems way better as a dress than it did as a piece of fabric. ??? 

Vogue 1351 Purple knit dress front

Gratuitous action shot.  Not really a twirly skirt, more of a fluttery one.

Vogue 1351 purple dress action shot
Two for two with the new Vogue patterns. Happy dance! Time to turn away from the dresses, even though there are so many pretty ones calling out to me.  In progress, a black denim casual jacket using a Lisette pattern, Simplicity 2209.

Of course something purple for today's SunnyGal garden photo. I bought this phlox at the local junior college horticultural department's spring sale. Very tiny flowers but so cute.

Happy summer sewing and I hope you all find the very best pattern, 
Beth

phlox

34 comments:

  1. This dress looks great on you, both the color and the shape. Thanks for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so flattering on you! The envelope leaves me uninspired, but I love the way it looks on you made up. And that color is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowser! This is so lovely! And I concur with Erin the envelope is meh but this is stuning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress - and your garden is just looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Isn't it always wonderful when the fabric that was blech turns into an amazing dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this color on you. This dress is a knock-out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Erin above too. The styling on the vogue site is unimpressive. What a wonderful dress on a real body! It looks like the perfect 'casual but can go to work' dress. Based on the recommended fabrics it can be a woven or knit? Did you adjust your sizing since you used a knit? I'm just venturing into knits and figuring out the ease stumps me? Adding the pattern to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this on you Beth! It's perfect for summer and super flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your version looks much better than the pattern envelope photo. Great color on you and what a flattering style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks absolutely amazing on you. YOU look stunning! I might have to invest in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really great on you! I love it! May have to try out the pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful make for you! I'll have to pick up this pattern (gosh I have so many patterns already...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely dress - an inspiring review! did you put a side zipper in?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Beth, I'll add more to your raving.......you look fabulous in this sleek dress. I hope you sew more from this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray! I love a good cowl neck, and this one looks terrific. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great. I wish I lived near you so I could try it on. :)
    I think the model on the envelope needs a swayback tuck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's got to be the perfect dress! Cowl, sleeveless, flirty skirt and jersey....heaven. And you look stunning, it fits so well, and is a great cut. Looks amazing inside too....and whilst I love your purple, that red on the pattern envelope has to be the most fabulous colour ever....that would definitely draw me in! Hurrah, a pattern envelope that does a great promotional job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. they color is great on you! its always so exciting when an unexpecting piece of fabric works out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like superlatives too! I looove this dress. I looove the colour. And you look drop dread gorgous in it! And now I´m off to look for the pattern, because if you say this is the best pattern, I must have it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look beautiful in this dress Beth. It looks effortlessly stylish...and very cool in your hot weather. I have a question though: do you muslin knit dresses like this? And if you do, what do you use for the muslin?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look gorgeous! What a beautiful dress! You gals in the Bay keep knocking it out with your cute dresses this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful dress. The colour is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beth, you look lovely in this dress. Excellent match of pattern, fabric, your figure, your excellent sewing skills. What more is there? Yes, it's your pattern of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty looks gorgeous on and the colour is just beautiful!! Glad you found a winner pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely shape and colour. This is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sold! This is lovely on you. The shaping is so flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was wondering what this dress would look like made up - looks great on you, and also extremely comfortable for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're right, this is sooo flattering you! The drape is just right, the waist hits at the perfect spot, and the soft swing of the skirt is great for hot weather. An all around winner!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, such an amazing colour on you! Such a great and simple dress pattern, and so flattering too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look gorgous!!! The purple color and feminine style is perfect on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this dress on you! Fun & flirty, & a fabulous fit!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I finally made it, Beth, and I mentioned you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I see why you love this dress! Thank you for sharing and pointing out this pattern. It is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete