Monday, January 3, 2022

Goodbye 2021 a quick review

To write a wrap-up post for this past year I looked back at what I wrote for my 2020 summary and kind of laughed, as in many respects I could have copied and pasted a lot of the same sentiments. I mean really - are we still here? Although to be fair this year has been much better than the previous weird one. Everyone (I mean everyone) I know is vaxed (cheers to the bay area!) and so life has been very much closer to normal here. Not 100% but a lot better. And perhaps the comparison to what was missing the previous year made a simple thing like having relaxing dinner with friends outside on a warm summer evening so much sweeter. 

Even though it felt like I was sewing constantly throughout the year I actually didn't make all that many things for myself. For one my closets are about to explode - how many summer dresses does a person need? Also I had hardly worn the things I made in 2020, so I used every opportunity to wear those things, and that made me happy. 

Closet 2020

1.Vintage Vogue DVF wrap dress, blog post. 
2. Denim Suit, Burda jacket pattern, blog post
3. Red wool coat, Burda pattern, blog post
4. Sundress, Burda pattern, blog post
And I have yet to wear this red dress but I will definitely do that this upcoming summer. Like I said, too many summer dresses!

So what took up my sewing time this year? Actually looking back I see that I made a number of things for other people. Mostly due to teaching online classes but that's how my friends end up as the recipient of some pretty nice item - if I so say so myself :)

sewed for others

1. Jasika blazer as example for my online tailoring class
2. Merchant and Mills boiler suit for jumpsuit class 
3. Closet Core Blanca jumpsuit for same class 
4. Vintage Vogue DVF wrap dress for a friend who went to Europe

I taught an online class almost every month this year and they have really been great. A very fun way to connect with sewists all over the country and world, and a good way in the difficult times to keep our sewing community together. In October Hello Stitch carefully resumed in-person classes and they were beyond filled up with every spot taken, I think a lot of people realized during the shutdown that making their own clothes was fun, rewarding and totally do-able. 

Hello Stitch Studio in Berkeley, where I have taught in-person classes since 2017 made it through the difficulties of the pandemic however they have decided to close their doors at the end of February. A variety of reasons but the short story is that the building was sold and they aren't able to find a suitable new space. I am so sad that they are closing but so grateful for the wonderful place that it had become. I couldn't have dreamed of a better opportunity to teach a big variety of classes to all levels and it's been a joy.

jacket class
My Tailored Jacket Class at Hello Stitch Studio in September 2019 


Meanwhile they are still offering online classes and I have a shirt-making class starting Jan. 11 and then a jumpsuit/boiler suit class in February.  Beyond that I'm working out some options for continuing to teach the live/online classes so I will be updating that soon. 

Despite getting out of the house and back into the world this year I also had some family members who ended up in the hospital and then recovering, not covid but accidents and other random things. Everyone is fine now but I spent a good amount of time on nurse duty which I am not exactly cut out for. And I have a very high regard for all the patient and kind medical personnel I encountered this year. They are champions!

So all that goes a long way to say I didn't sew all that much for myself this past year, and that was great. People keep giving me fabric which is also fine as I end up using a lot of yardage for all these examples and other things - but I do need to spend some quality time my spare bedroom and get it organized. 

As for sewing in 2022, who knows? I'm never one to make a plan, I just follow whatever whim strikes me at the moment. Which is probably why I have a lot of things that don't go together but I it doesn't bother me. I have a few things to post that I finished in the last weeks so onward with fresh ideas. And some new to me patterns, including VikiSews. My quick review - they are very good. But I will write a more thorough review soon. 

Wishing to everyone a Very Happy and Healthy New Year,
Beth

 
Today's garden photo, something very bring and cheerful on this rainy Monday. Rain I am not complaining about - we finally have lots of rain and snow in the mountains which gives us all here in N. California something to be very grateful about. Things were getting dire and while we are not in the clear yet it's certainly trending away from drought and a lot more green. 
This is a dianthus which is one of my favorite little plants, reliable, hardy and it's sometimes called pinks which is because it looks like it was trimmed with pinking shears. The most sewing themed of flowers!


819B5303-8BD8-40A9-B65C-37C06687BEB7_1_201_a

6 comments:

  1. Happy new year Beth! I love all your makes ♥ You are such a fabulous seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful teacher and seamstress. I hope your future classes are full and rewarding. It’s been another year of interesting, intricate and impressive garments. Have a wonderful 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For one my closets are about to explode" - I know that feeling so well, lol!
    You've had an impressive sewing year and surely 2022 will be even better (not just sewing wise, but in all aspects of life). Thank you for the boost of inspiration!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad to hear about Hello, Stich! I'm glad they are still offering online classes, but I loved going to the in person classes with you. Oh well. Maybe something will work out for them and they can resume later. Happy New Year and thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your makes and I'm glad you ended the year on a positive note and that everyone is well. Happy New Year Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so, so sad to hear Hello Stitch is closing. Covid has taken so much :(

    2021 was an interesting year for a lot of people in the sewing realm it seems! Looks like a great year though, with some great projects.

    Here's hoping 2022 is 10x better than the last two years!

    ReplyDelete