Saturday, May 20, 2023

Sewing, upcoming classes and other projects

So much for my resolution to blog more frequently this year. I'm not sure where the time has gone but I have several completed sewing projects to share in the next month. After our incredibly rainy winter there has been a lot to do in the garden but coming on to June it's the time of year when everything is blooming and I can just sit back and enjoy it. 

Knit polo 3
A few weeks back I was looking through my knit fabrics and found this stripe that I ordered some time back. It worked perfectly for this pattern, which was slightly deceptive as I thought it was color blocked but that turns out to be their fabric, a giant stripe. Anyway I liked how it turned out and might make again. 

Burda polo top info

back front stripe polo
The fabric was from Girl Charlee, sometime in the last couple of years. 
Here's a sneak peek at something I made for my friend Heather, using a Cashmerette pattern for the first time. This is the Auburn blazer. 
Blue blazer
This fabric is a gorgeous navy blue wool from Britex Fabrics. It is SO soft. Since I finished this back in March and now wool blazers are put away until fall I suggested she have a summer version, so I am just finishing another in a stretch cotton. When I get that one done and some photos taken I will do a blog post about the blazers and this pattern. 
After several years of hiatus I'm happy to say that this May brought back our SF Bay Area Frocktails. We met at a fun bar in downtown San Francisco and it was great to see old friends and actually meet someone who has been an online sewing friend for many years, practically since we both started blogging. Next to me in the red dress is Juebejue who is a wizard of sewing garments that convert from one thing into another. It was so fun to finally meet in person after years of virtual communications. 

Frocktails 2023


Frocktails group photos
There I am on the bottom right wearing the sparkly dress that I stitched up a couple of nights before the event. Did I need a new dress? No, but I rediscovered this sparkly purple fabric that I ordered from Mood a few years ago. 1 yard. What was I thinking I could do with 1 yard? but I had some wool jersey that coordinated so I sewed it into a kind of fancy t-shirt dress. When you go to a party or gathering with non-sewing people, often the clothes are neutrals, solids or what might be called "wearable" i.e. something that people can find in the store, fits them and is suitable for several occasions. But a Frocktails party is a riot of color, styles and fabric variety, and I love it. Because everyone picks out fabrics that they love and are happy to sew and wear. Next month is a pattern swap and I have loads to unload, so I will be there. 

I have plenty of upcoming classes, both in person and online. Here are the details. 
Jeans class June 2023
In June I have an online jeans class, here is the link. to register. This class includes live sessions, video to watch later and recordings of the sessions in case you miss a week. 

For in person classes I have Beginner Garment Sewing: Top  on June 30 and Knit T-Shirt on July 21. Those are both at The Cotton Patch Quilt Shop in Lafayette. 

My in-person class with Hello Stitch on June 24 is Sold Out, but we will schedule more the following month. 

I just cut out another pair of Ash jeans, using some nice denim I recently ordered from Metro Textiles in NY.  The other day it was getting really hot and I decided that I needed a pair of lightweight crop flare jeans. Well need is relative but that's what these will be. 

Ash jeans latest version

So that's the latest, I'm ready to do some summer sewing. My other big project is a bathroom remodel which is set to start in late June. Why is it so easy for me to choose a fabric? I can decide in an instant if I like a pattern or fabric but choosing tile and paint colors takes me forever! However it is all decided, ordered and hopefully finished by August. 

Happy Summer Sewing,
Beth
The roses are in full bloom and the jasmine is flowering. As well as the orange and lemon trees covered with blossoms. Time to take it all in. 

IMG_9949

1 comment:

  1. I have only a few Burda Magazines, but that polo looked familiar, and I happen to have bought that copy. You don’t see many classic polo patterns, and I have a similar vintage 80s by McCall’s maybe. I am not sure about those super gathered sleeve heads though, usually I don’t care for lots of gather in that spot, however, I should probably try something new.

    Frocktails SFO looks like it was a lot of fun. Lucky you to be able to participate.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete