Tuesday, March 17, 2015

a new Green Shirt for St. Patrick's day

To my surprise I have not seen one green item in my reading of sewing blogs today. I suppose St. Patrick's day is considered another goofy holiday and excuse to drink beer but with my heritage it is the real deal. Having visited the farm in Ireland where my grandfather was born (which is still in the family) I can attest to the fact that you have not seen green until you have been to Ireland. Dazzling in hue and variation.
So that means I will wear something green and here is this year's item. I got this knit fabric at a Bay Area sewing meet-up fabric swap earlier this year and figured it would be good for trying out a t-shirt or something. But last week I had the idea to make a regular collared shirt - but in knit instead of woven.

Here it is, and while it has a few quirks I am quite happy with the result - super comfortable and I love the color.

green shirt front

OK first off let's just note that there are no buttons down the front. Yes. I took the easy way out. I had made it with a placket front, and then in the trying on and fitting process, when I was pinning the front together I had a minor revelation - knit shirt - no fastenings needed! I can pull it over my head. So I just sewed it together in the front, overlapping as if it were buttoned. So lazy and yet it worked out fine. I may just sew up another of these knit-y shirts. Also I forgot to put interfacing in the placket and buttonholes + knit fabric with no stabilization = very unsightly buttonholes. Maybe I should sew on some buttons but I think why bother? In fact the next one may have a placket at the neck like a tunic top.
What pattern?  My trusty Simplicity 2339 Amazing fit shirt, which I have made 3 times before, flannel version, cotton voile version, silk charmeuse version. How's that for versatility? And this has to be one of the most hideous pattern envelope versions. Fine, let's just stipulate that most pattern envelope photos are terrible. The ones that are good looking are actually the minority. My suggestion - LOOK past the styling - study the technical drawings. I was just talking about this over the past weekend. That probably people who are newer to sewing do use the photo of the actual garment to base their choices on, whether for good or bad. I try to ignore (or scoff at) the photos, whether indie or Big 4/Burda and just use the drawings to decide on a pattern.

Blue silk blouse pattern S2339

Back view. I did do quite extensive fitting alterations once I had the side seams basted together, realizing it was way too big for a knit shirt (but works fine for a non-stretch flannel). So I took it in about 2 inches on each side seam, narrowed the sleeve by 2 inches, and moved the shoulder seam in about 3/8".  Now that it is done I am not 100% happy with the bust dart placement, could maybe be a little lower but whatever, I can live with it.
green shirt back

I used a lightweight cotton for the cuffs and collar stand as I always see these cute shirts with mixed prints or accent fabrics and wanted to try it out. Making those sleeve plackets is not that bad, it's like buttonholes or zippers, once you do it a few times it goes really quick. And as you can see I could probably narrow the cuffs for my smallish wrists but I just move the buttons to where it fits better. Note to self, the sleeves are a bit long and I still haven't shortened the pattern. Probably because of my extra short arms I am used to all sleeves being too long and never even think about it. Duh!

green shirt cuff

Things are green around here but I had to actually water some plants over the weekend  - it's going be a cruel summer.....

me in green shirt

Happy St. Patrick's Day and happy sewing, 
Beth



22 comments:

  1. Great shirt - looks comfy but smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reallylike your shirt, it has a concealed button front, no one will know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your green shirt is great. The "concealed button front" a is brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration. we don't do St Patrick's in Brazil but we wear a lot of green

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab shirt! And a happy St. Patrick's Day to you! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy st Patrick's day. I wore green to work, an apple green linen shirtdress. Love your shirt, what a great idea a knit button-up look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee. I wore my sewn green sweater yesterday and I was one of two people in an office of 20 who even bothered. We even had shepherd's pie for dinner. And, neither of us have a lick to do with being Irish. It's just fun, KNWIM? Anywho, lovely lovely shirt. I always had it in my head that I was going to make loads of button down shirts and then just never did. Maybe I need to take that up as my summer project?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour and pattern of your shirt!

    I wore a green me-made dress yesterday. I had also worn green me-made clothes on Monday, which was unfortunate as everyone accused me of being early for St. Patrick's Day! I have limited Irish in my background (only my great-grandmother's background was Irish), but it is fun to dress up just the same. Years ago, when I was living in Montreal I remember a float in the St. Paddy's Day parade. It was the float of the "Chinese Irish." As they say, everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day! Incidentally, I lived in South Korea for a while years ago and they call it the "Ireland of Asia." It's very green because of the rice paddy fields (or at least it was at the time). Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice shirt and great idea as a pullover shirt! So true about Ireland's green, we were amazed. Been there twice and just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a festive shirt! I think the lack of buttons makes it quirky and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy "Belated" St. Patricks Day!! This is really cute Beth! I love everything you did including the mixing of color, prints and fabrics! I've not made knit shirt yet but do own a RTW one I've had for years and it is so very comfortable! Don't know why I didn't try to remake it myself either! Great work and yes, I did wear my "lucky" green to work yesterday! (pulled an older item out of my closet) Hope your holiday was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true that the pattern envelope is often so hideous!! I used to only look at that when I first started sewing but have since stopped looking at those altogether and now only buy patterns based on line drawings :) It's way too easy to get distracted by fabrics and styling, for better or for worse - who amongst us hasn't sewed up a pattern that we fell in love with based on the styling on the model and then discovered it was an absolute train wreck in real life? LOL

    I have this pattern and have not sewn it up yet, so am glad to hear it's so good to work with :) I especially love your plaid version - it looks great on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a great point about the line drawings, the photos always leave something to be desired. I love your new blouse, Beth, such pretty fabric and mixing of fabric. I love the fact the family farm in Ireland is still in the family, what an amazing history for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great shirt. I love the mix of fabrics and the way you eliminated the buttons. Looks very smart but must be so comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey that cuff paisley print looks familiar, that from my discards? Good for you, cute top

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice! I like the combo! Now you made me want this pattern to compare with the Sewaholic but it's not one of those that is available for print...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a little late but I've been visiting friends and family in Pleasanton,CA, and I must say the hills are as green as your beautiful shirt. I love your little short cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I completely ignored St Patrick's Day. I don't even own anything in that shade of green. I love your new pullover version of a button up shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. the shirt is fantastic Beth! I really loved the pattern and the pairing it with blue! I totally agree with you on looking at tech drawings. It takes a while to get used to it but once you start it makes a difference! In fact it allowed me to understand it's not worth buying too many patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love the contrast cuffs and collar stand, and I don't miss the buttons!

    ReplyDelete