Friday, February 8, 2013

Sneak Peek, corduroy and wool

Lots of sewing is happening here, not much writing about it and that is as it should be. I have quite a few projects in progess and hope to complete at least one this weekend.

Here is a little peek at the project referred to in the title of this post.  A bit outside my usual color palette. Even I can have only so much clothing in blue or turquoise, sometimes a girl just has to try an earth tone. Or what gets closest to earth tone in my world. Plus it was in my stash. Bonus points for dipping into the pile, right?

Corduroy sneak peak

A big thank you to everyone who has left such nice comments on my recent projects, from the Lekala dress to the knit tops to the kid's coat etc. I really appreciate every one.  And to answer Carolyn, who asked me after my last post if I was getting a new sewing machine, not likely!  Yes, it would be lovely to have a super new machine (and to have some of that happy new toy feeling as when I bought a new Mac laptop after years of corporate PC purgatory).  But no, a new machine is not on the horizon. I am one of those people who cannot replace something for the sake of getting a new one - whatever it is must be beyond repair. And my lovely old Singers are humming along nicely (fingers crossed they stay that way).  

Meanwhile I am working on a few garments that pose an interesting fit challenge.  Some of the features of this figure are; shorter than average, very full bust, relatively narrow shoulders, plus size.  I have completed a few dresses and am now starting a coat based on a very cute J.Crew style.  Are you interested in some blog posts on these projects?  When it comes to sewing, fit and technique go hand in hand. Technique can be learned through practice - a hidden hem, a smooth zipper, perfect seams.  But garment fit - for me the learning never ends since there are as many fit challenges as there are people on the planet.  

Happy weekend sewing, Beth


14 comments:

  1. I'm very anxious to see your completed corduroy and wool "jacket"? I love both fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it either. It looks so interesting. I also have two singer sewing machines and I cannot even figure out how to make my buttonholes work, but I cannot replace them yet so I have to deal with what I have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I really enjoy your blog. You know the styles and colour palette that suit you and are willing to test the boundaries. :) Found your blog through Karen of Did You Make That? when she blogged about her time in San Francisco.

    Always interested in fit! lol

    I have a body that does not meet manufacturers' standards! *sigh* Below average height, slightly narrow shoulders, hour-glass pear (very small waist in proportion to bust & hips, with hips at least one size larger than bust) shape. Oh, joy!

    Thankfully, I've learned to work with it, although sometimes I'll try different styles with mixed--frequently fatal!--results. I know the styles that suit my shape and my lifestyle, but sometimes enjoy experimenting.

    I hope you will post about the styles, as well as fitting and construction techniques you are using for these projects.


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little sneek-peek! Combining different textures is always extremely creative...J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is looking spectacular - can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that combo of corduroy and knit! Can't wait to see the final result. Like you, I won't be replacing my working sewing machine, even though it's over 30 years old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very promising :) I love those colours together

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always eager to see how fit challenges have been met. So bring it on!
    Your cord/wool garment looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you've teamed these two textures together.
    Any posts on fitting with your future projects will be much appreciated by me. I'm always looking for useful knowledge to help sew for others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those colors look great together! Anxiously waiting...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful project so far -- I can't believe how nicely you set that sleeve in. I would love to read about the fit process for your J. Crew-inspired coat -- as you said, there is so much to be learned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fitting help? Yes, please. Tonight I watched an old season of Project Runway and the challenge was to provide a "makeover" outfit for deserving women. One guy whined endlessly to the judges that his model was not a regular woman's size, so he was in total artistic meltdown. He often said hugely unkind and belittling comments to said model.......endlessly. How could he possibly cope,.......she was size 14! Dafuq? Prima donna, lives in a cave or just a big bag of stupid? Isn't he precious? I am a perfect 47-38-41,look forward to fitting help, and that guy is lost in the abyss. Love your shared talent and shared blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that episode! That guy was SUCH a jerk!!! I wanted him off the show based on his comments alone.... and he certainly wasn't a male model in my opinion, so what gives? Grr..... yeah, I was raging also. Like only rail thin women more than 5'7" tall wear clothes....

      Off my soap box......

      Back to business... Beth, I am ALWAYS ready to read anything you wouldn't mind posting - fitting, sewing skills, whatever. You are so talented and I am thankful that you don't mind putting the time into keeping up your blog. :)

      Delete
    2. I saw that episode! That guy was SUCH a jerk!!! I wanted him off the show based on his comments alone.... and he certainly wasn't a male model in my opinion, so what gives? Grr..... yeah, I was raging also. Like only rail thin women more than 5'7" tall wear clothes....

      Off my soap box......

      Back to business... Beth, I am ALWAYS ready to read anything you wouldn't mind posting - fitting, sewing skills, whatever. You are so talented and I am thankful that you don't mind putting the time into keeping up your blog. :)

      Delete