Wednesday, November 13, 2019

End of summer sewing: Rayon top Burda 02/2018 # 120

A while ago when I made a pink wool jacket I wanted to make a top to wear with it, but it's kind of a tricky color. Difficult to coordinate, and I knew I wasn't likely to find the same shade of pink. I saw this rayon print at Stone Mountain and thought that it would look nice with the jacket. So even thought I don't ordinarily like novelty prints this features two of my favorite items, lipstick and nail polish - so why not?

I'll start with the back view on this top as this pattern is all about the back neckline and tie. The fabric has a really nice weight and drape which works with this pattern. I could also see it in a silk.

Burda blue top back closeup

Yes, it's a pattern repeat! I first made this top last spring, in a lightweight cotton. It was a surprise how often I wore it - I don't have very many short sleeve woven tops but that one pairs nicely with jeans or a denim skirt.


Blue top 1


Burda blue top front view on form

The neckband on this pattern which drapes gracefully in front is cut on the bias. Which means it uses a bit more fabric and needs to be all one piece. When I bought the fabric, since it was 60" wide I just bought 1 yard, which seemed like plenty for a summer top.


Blue top 3

So I played around with the layout, made sure I shortened the sleeves on the pattern, as they are originally elbow length but I knew I didn't want that. Finally I decided to create seams at the shoulder in the neck binding and in this fabric they don't even show.  If you look carefully you can see the seam, which lines up with the dart in the sleeve so I think it looks intentional :).

Note for sewing this pattern - it's important not to press the neckband, you want it to roll forward and just land where it wants for a soft fold.


Burda blue top seam on binding

It helps to have a friend when you take blog photos - can you tell I took these on the same day and location as the ones for the dress in my previous post?

My friend Halyna is wearing a New Look jumpsuit - I think it's # NL6446?  And I'm wearing my sparkly Ash jeans which turned into my summer staple.

Blue pink top with H


What's my next sewing project? I just finished a color-blocked silk blouse which despite the puffy sleeves I'm sure I'll wear it often as I like the colors (those sleeves not my favorite silhouette but decided to try). I have picked up a blazer I started in September as an example for my Jacket Tailoring class then, and probably will get that done tomorrow as I am stuck at home due to some lengthy home repairs.
The Blazer Jacket is on the schedule again at Hello Stitch Studio for Jan 31-Feb 1-Feb 2 so if you are interested in signing up here's the class listing.

In other news - still no rain here! Oh how I wish it would rain - the garden needs it, the ground needs it, our whole state needs it. I'm a little fearful we may be heading into another drought year.
And if you are somewhere in the frozen tundra - at least you'll have plenty of water. Probably small comfort I know.

Blue top2

Happy Sewing,
Beth

Today's garden photo, a scruffy little miniature rose that keeps on blooming despite living in a neglected corner of the garden.

IMG_1448


7 comments:

  1. What a cute top! I've been eyeing this pattern since that burda issue came out. The back is so pretty and you totally did it justice. Thanks for the tip on not pressing the neckband, I'll keep it in mind if I ever get around making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern and so, so perfect in silk.

    Fingers crossed that you guys get some rain soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your top, it looks so luxe in the silk! I've been eyeing that pattern...I probably won't make anytime soon as we are head-first into winter in MN but it's on my list for spring. Your sewing is lovely as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful top and love that you were able to squeeze it out of your one yard. It's great that you've gotten a friend to take a few of your photos...I think it makes it easier and you get a different take on a garment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really lovely top that can dress up or look great with jeans. I'll have to look back for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely blouse, perfect in your fabric. I'm sure you will enjoy wearing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely top! It's beautiful front and back. I'm rather big in the bust however, and that many gathers would make me look even bigger (yuck). Could it be modified to have fewer gathers?

    The neighborhood you live in is GORGEOUS! I love all of the big trees and wide lawns.

    ReplyDelete