Saturday, May 9, 2020

Silk top Burda 05/2020 # 115

Sewing much during this stay-at-home time?  I veer back and forth from wanting to sew up all the fabrics in my stash to then not sewing for days as I have full closets and plenty of unworn items already. The weather has taken a glorious turn here in N. Cal and I have been catching up on gardening tasks and listening to some new to me gardening podcasts (learning so much! they are not the news! plant talk instead of virus talk! very calming 🌞.  I've also been doing video sewing lessons, which are really fun, and I'm doing another live virtual class next weekend, details at the bottom of this post.

But as soon as this May issue of Burda was previewed I knew I would sew up the top #115. Rummaging in my stash I found this remaining piece of silk, previously used for a bow tie blouse.
The fabric was something I bought at ASG stash sale - and I now appreciate even more all the bargains I brought home with me from various rummage sales and squeezed into my fabric closet. They are serving me well in these times.

Red silk top4

What is the opposite of a Going Out top? Is it a staying in top? Is it a cute top I finished but can't really wear anywhere other than in the back yard to take blog photos? That will have to do for now but I think this is another winner and it will hit the rotation as soon as going out time returns.
By the way - you do have some going out tops in your wardrobe, right? The type of top that is too...something for office or work wear, maybe with a little sparkle, or a bit of skin, or just the right shape with your most perfect jeans. The top you put on for a dinner out when you don't want to wear a dress, or just want to be comfortable (thus the jeans) but still look special. I think some retailers built their brand on selling going out tops. The going out time is on pause and I think a lot of retailers will not be in business as they were before but that is a discussion for another time. (plus like a lot of you I don't really pay all that much to clothing stores). But we will always need going out tops and I have a few more patterns in the pipeline to sew.


Red silk top angle view on form

This is such a simple but clever design, as the back wraps over the top of the shoulder and makes the angled seam in the front, and the center front fullness is gathered into a slightly high round neckline.
Here's the Burda magazine example. I liked how the stripes worked out in their example so I knew my check would give a similar effect.


BurdaStyle May 2020 115 mag view


red silk top on form closeup

A closer look at the neckline. It stands away from the neck just a little bit when worn and it very comfortable. I don't like high necklines but this is just right.

When I was sewing it I had the pieces laid out on my table, just to make sure I had everything placed properly and remembered to take a picture. That's the inside of the top, so the side/back sections of the neckline have a sewn on neckband with facing, and then the front part just has the inner facing, attached with back facings after the gathering threads are pulled to the right amount.

Red silk top facings on table


Red top with jeans back


red silk top on form back seam

Now that I've made this in the check, I have to find some striped fabric in my stash. I also think it would work well in a knit. And I am pretty happy with that matching in the center back :)

Red silk top back closure

As usual, I don't put a fabric loop and button there, but instead sew a small tab and then put a snap so that it make a neat and clean finish at the back neckline.


Red silk top5

Along with black jeans this top works well with my Pauline Alice Mirambell skirt which is black cotton sateen with a border of black cotton eyelet. I have gotten so much wear out of that skirt - I guess basic black is pretty useful :)  Also where did I put that pattern? One of these day when I have time, hahahahaha, I will clean all my closets and find everything I've been looking for in my house. This hand in the hair gesture is me wondering if my self-administered haircuts are doing the trick. I've trimmed my hair twice now since the lockdown - I figure if I cut it about 1/4" all over and follow the same shape then it won't be too bad ???  Anyway - we all will have to manage. If you see me in my Giants baseball cap then you know I've had a haircutting mishap.

Tech drawing for this top. I did just change one thing - and you can probably guess if you've been reading my blog for any time.


Burda Style 05-2020-115 tech drawings
Yep - I narrowed the shoulders. Sleeveless things are always just too wide for me across the shoulders, or I don't like where the outer edge lands so I trim away some before putting on the binding. Now I have a system which is I put a top I like on my dress form, put the new one over it, mark the armhole shape, and trim away.
I trim one side, then overlay the two sides and trim the second side to match.

IMG_2800


Red silk top 7

Whew look at that dry grass already - we're fearful of another dry and dangerous summer here in CA. Although maybe that's better than snow in May? not sure.

Next weekend on 10:30 am, Sunday May 17, I will be doing another live online class via Hello Stitch, this one is called "All About Interfacing".  Here's the link to register.  You know my sewing motto - more interfacing! I think stitchers of all levels have questions about interfacing and I will talk about where and how I use it (over and above what the pattern tells you) plus tips on cutting, applying, how to choose which one for your fabric and pattern. The classes have plenty of time for live Q&A so you can share your questions and fabric examples with the group.
If you would like to have a private sewing lesson via Zoom or FaceTime, you can book on the Hello Stitch website here or email me and we will schedule a time.

Up next, I need to sew up the jeans to match my denim blazer and go full pantsuit. I might even go to the local park with my tripod and take some adventurous outside photos if a quiet corner far from everyone can be found.


Red top with jeans1



Happy Sewing and stay well,
Beth

Today's garden photo is this rose that is finally getting acclimated after several years. I'm not sure what the variety is.  I don't fuss over my roses, they have to make do with whatever location I put them in and deal with the sun/water/clay soil as best they can. Some do amazingly well and others   not so much. This one was on the edge but now is putting out these velvety blooms so it can stay for a while.

IMG_2319

13 comments:

  1. This is a really nice top. I should really try your tab trick instead of loop. When I read your posts, I feel very motivated to sew instantly the same thing, but then I see the half-done projects in my sewing room, I give up. Maybe today is the day, right :) Thank you Beth for sharing the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top came out fabulous! I bought that issue just for that top actually. Now I just need to get motivated to make it, hopefully your post will do the trick. But first i must finish the dress with the sleeve you helped me fit last time... sigh. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh, you’re making me want to go out and buy that Burda magazine! That is such a lovely design, and not complicated. I can easily see how several more are in your future. It is a nice change for layering too, over most of the current plain neck styles on tanks.

    You hit the nail on the head - the wardrobe is full, yet the only place to wear clothes is at home. I have taken to wearing nice casual clothes inside, and then change into old RTW casual clothes for gardening, washing the car, etc. I come inside to take a shower, and then put on the nice me-made casual wear again, followed by me-made pajamas...rinse, repeat. Looking forward to pulling together a travel wardrobe again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are making good use of your Burda subscription. It's a really lovely blouse and beautiful on you. Love the shaped back hem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the neckline on this top. Now I want to be able to go somewhere. Sigh. I will be patient. Sewing helps, doesn't it? Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This top is gorgeous and the fit perfect. I can imagine this would fit into the wardrobe so well in a variety of solids and prints. I love that it is dressy but not too much for everyday wear and I love your tip for the back opening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! Hopefully you will be able to wear it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of this top! I will have to try adding a tab at the back neckline, nicer look than hook and eye or button and loop. The front neckline and overlapping shoulders makes this a very interesting and unique top. I no longer have a subscription to Burda magazine; I will look for a source to buy this one as there are some other patterns I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful top! It's such a great 'going out' look. I dropped my subscription but Know I can likely find that one on line. Fabulous fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea that tab with the snap rather than a button and loop! I like how smooth it is and that I don't have to go looking around for ONE special button. I will definitely try this. Your top will be lovely for "going out."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your version of this top. A Going Out top is a great description. Your fabric print also highlights the effect of the wrapped shoulder seam. Neat! You find the best fabrics at your ASG Stash sales. Not many silks or wools show up at our sales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I really love how you added a tab and a snap to the back of your red silk top rather than putting in a fabric loop. I can see myself doing the same in the future. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job - great fabric choice and beautiful sewing on that pattern.

    I just came here from your Burda pattern blog (very nice) that was posted on SewingPatternReview. I love what you are saying about tops (Staying At Home Tops LOL), and have been thinking alot along these lines. I keep looking at patterns for pretty dresses, but wearing fewer of them these days (even before COVID).

    ReplyDelete