Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Remnants and Ruffles, a Summer Top

Recently I was rummaging through my fabric stash and came across a few small pieces that needed to get off the shelf and into my sewing machine. Whenever I go to Stone Mountain Fabrics in Berkeley my first stop is the remnant shelf. I found this rayon challis there last summer, I think it was labeled as 7/8 yard so I looked around my patterns to find something that didn't need much fabric.

Blue white top Burda 06-2020-106

This pattern is from the Burda June 2020 magazine. I think this same tank top shape is the basis for the jumpsuit and romper in that issue, as well as this top. I've made both the jumpsuit (link here) and the top  (link here)   That blue jumpsuit I've only worn once or twice - I think when the weather is suitable (warm) I tend to pick out one of summer dresses instead. As for the tops in the other post - when I made this ruffle one I think the ruffle was too narrow and it didn't really come out all that well. The other two tops shown in that post are long gone. That was in the first summer of the pandemic and I was just making any old thing to keep busy. Glad those days are behind us, hopefully for good. 

Burda ruffle top on form

I love this royal blue color and maybe I can find some matching solid cotton to make a skirt. For now I can wear it with a denim skirt or as shown above with my Pauline Alice Mirambell skirt, which has the eyelet hem. (I need to make a dress with that treatment :). I love that skirt, it has great pockets and looks dressed up but is very easy to wear. 

Burda ruffle top
Here's the images from the magazine. I think it needs the wider ruffle and also requires a soft fabric so that it drapes nicely instead of sticking out. Rayon challis is perfect and silk crepe de chine would be also. But how many of these tops do I need ?

Burda ruffle top back on form

Back view and also a look at my little Trader Joe's orchid which I bought last June as an accent for my newly remodeled bathroom. I decided it needed more light and so it now lives on this windowsill with morning light and is continuously blooming. Amazing to me, the first one I've ever had to bloom again. So I am not moving it!

Back ruffle top Burda 06-2020-106

So that's the latest on my recent sewing - I have made a lot of things in the last few months so I plan to do a few more blog posts. 

I have a couple of upcoming classes with www.hellostitchstudio.com 

Fitted Dress Techniques: ONLINE class starting on July 9.  In this class I will focus on princess seams, talk about some pattern adjustments, invisible zippers and how to painlessly add a lining which allowing you to fit as you go. 

Knit Wrap Dress:  IN PERSON class, July 20.  this one was by request and based on the popularity of the knit wrap dress patterns. Which are perfect for travel if you have a vacay planned. 

So all the details are in the links above and I hope to see you there. 

In other news, I bought my ticket for Bay Area Sewists Frocktails in July. And I can't decide if I should make a new dress (tempting!) or wear one of the zillions of dresses I already have. I think I'll wait a few weeks to decide.  

Blue white top front

Happy Summer Sewing,
Beth

Today's garden picture - everything is in full bloom now, May and June are the best time in the N. California garden. Especially when the pink jasmine is in full bloom, the scent is heavenly!

pink jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment